Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The New Ipod Shuffle: Keep Your Old One

I had to grab a link from apple earlier for a website I was working on and notices that Apple has come out with a new iPod shuffle, which I had no clue about. Now don't jump me if it's been out a week, I had no clue. I love apple, I loved my iPod when it worked. Still love it, I'd just love it more if it worked.
But I saw that they had the video guided tour so I decided to take a look at the new iPod Shuffle and after seeing it, I have to say-stick with your old one. The only really good improvement I saw was the increased storage space. That's great. Other than that, it's a glorified piece of junk that made to take your money.
How so? How can someone who loves Apple so much, and if you know me you know I do, say something like that. Well, quite simple, I'm an honest guy. I watched the tour and here's the issues I've found.
The controls for the iPod have been moved from the iPod itself to the new headphones. This is great except for one thing, I've never liked the headphones that have come with an mp3 player, especially iPods. The people that I talk to don't like them either. Some do, don't get me wrong, but a lot of people I know, just don't like them. It's the whole earbud thing.
You may not have this problem, but the people I talk to do-every time you put the buds in, it's only a mater of time before they fall out. That is, unless you push them so far into your ear that they begin to assimilate into your skull. But that's only the beginning.
Besides that, Apple has now decided that the new iPod shuffle shall not just be the metal (or plastic) piece of technology that you clip on your pocket, but it shall be the headphones you try to keep in your ear. The controls for the new iPod are not on the actual iPod as they have been, but they are all on the headphones. You could previously get headphones that had controls on them(and not just for the iPod), but they were not self contained in the headphones. You always had something on the actual iPod. This has changed.
So what does this mean? It means that when a wire shorts out on your headphones that you didn't just loose your headphones, you just lost your iPod. And now you get to go fork over thirty bucks at the Apple store just to get to hear your music. You can imagine while all the smart guys were sitting around the table in Silicon Valley trying to come up with the next best iPod, the thought had to cross their minds-how can we make even more money? And course the idea of putting the controls on the headphones seemed like a winner. Of course they don't market it that way, they market it as a cool, new thing.
That's the big thing that gets me, because I've always had to go back and buy accessories for my Apple stuff, not the actual product but necessary accessories-like headphones, or power adapters, or even the cable that goes from the iPod to the computer, which died long before my iPod did the first time.
The other things are small really. Small, just like the size. I know America has an issue with small things when it comes to technology, but it just seems some things are unnecessary. The new iPod shuffle is about the size of your pinkie. Which of course means-a lot easier to lose. Fitting technology into smaller areas is great, but what do you lose by doing it? Maybe the technology itself. First try in the couch cushions.
What else is there? Apparently when skipping through songs, if you pass one you wanted, you have to go all the way through your list to get back to it. However this could just a small over sight the video didn't cover, but if not, just another reason to pass on Apple's newest iPod gift to the world.
Finally, this iPod shuffle is being billed as the first mp3 player that talks to you. That would be great except for the fact that it still sounds like a computer. This would be different if Apple had done something new with voice technology that made the robotic voice in your years sound more....human. But they haven't. So you still get to hear a robot tell you what you're listening to. However, I guess this is better than not knowing what you're listening to at all, except it is your music, you should know.
But even without the last things mentioned, the added bonus of having to buy new, crappy headphones (in my opinion) if and when they break just seals the deal on keeping my old mp3 player. Apple's marketing team might be good and highlighting the positive points of the new shuffle, but hopefully the teenagers and the other consumers out there with the cash will see that the new iPod shuffle will is nothing more than a glorified step down from previous generations.

No comments: