Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Internet Renewed

    I am a big fan of Firefox. It's my favorite browser. Internet Explorer has nothing on Firefox to be honest with you. If you really know me, you know that I'm a Mac person. I really do not like PCs. I think the stupid commercials Microsoft has started putting out are a poor excuse in response to some very creative and funny commercials by Apple.

    Even so, I still prefer Firefox over Apple's Safari. Of course, the reason isn't really because of the actual browser. That's okay. Firefox has some good things, Safari has some good things. Both have there plus and minuses. But Firefox really beats Safari and every other browser when it comes to the add-ons and plug-ins. Some of them are just awesome.

    In fact, I wanted to share on with you. If you don't have Firefox, first—get it. You won't be disappointed if you start using all the awesome add-ons. But first you have to get the browser so you can get the add-ons, specifically the one I want to tell you about.

    StumbleUpon is an awesome add-on that helps you surf the internet like never before (well, never before that I've known). Of course the sites been up for a while now, I just now discovered it. Basically what you do is get an account with them and then they ask you all sorts of things about your interests, kind of like a date, but somewhat more rewarding.

    You fill out all this information and then on your browser you get a toolbar that's marked "Stumble." What does that mean? Well, you push it and stumble upon all sorts of sites tailored to your interests that you probably never even heard of. In just a few days my bookmarks folders has gone from a handful of sites to bursting open with sites of coolness (and oddities). Plus you can rate the sites it gives you with whether or not you like it and that will help narrow what it gives you so you get even better sites.

    So I think for now on, besides my rhetoric and remarks on the state of life in general, I'm going to talk about some of the sites I find, because I've been finding some really weird ones lately. Before I found this cool add-on, the internet was starting to get boring. But now, I've found enough junk, good stuff, helpful sites, and everything else, to keep me satisfied for a little bit longer. Anyway, go download the browser if you don't have it, and then download the add-on. You might just be amazed at what you get.

No comments: